The design of the Lean+Green® bottle creates vastly improved sustainable outcomes.
The wine bottle is between 18% and 28% lighter than regular wine bottles, but retains the premium aesthetics required of the wine industry.
The innovative design will save almost 20,000 tonnes of glass packaging a year. Other substantial environmental benefits include:
- A 20% carbon reduction in energy use to produce the same number of bottles;
- A carbon dioxide saving of more than 11,130 tonnes of CO2 per annum;
- An average 12% drop in water usage per container;
- Overall water savings of 4,270kL or the equivalent of 6.3 Olympic swimming pools a year; and
- 840 more bottles packed into a 20ft shipping container (an increase of 6.25%).
The Lean+Green® bottle creates greater environmental outcomes and this fits with McHenry Hohnen's "hands off' winemaking philosophy were the focus is on natural winemaking, soil biology and sustainable viticultural practices.